Tuesday 14 May 2013

Sandmartins back on the River Dane

Headed down the river dane at the weekend to a quieter part where I know there is Kingfishers, Otters and other wildlife of interest. The sun was out and the sky was blue with white fluffy clouds well until the sky went black and it began to rain heavily and as I had a hole in my wellies I was not very pleased but what we found upriver made it worth the wellie full of water.
The river was looking beautiful with all the green river plants growing along the edges of the water and under the water the weed was in full health ready for when the fish begin swimming upriver to spawn in the deeper water in June/July.
Down on the river banks lots Swallows, swifts, House martins were feeding on the flying insects over the river. The best thing was that over 60 Sand martins have made there homes on the river and as there previous nesting banks were washed away thanks to flooding and teens using the banks as a diving area into the river it was great to them in such good numbers on my local river.
A few of the Sand martin holes on the river
Hopefully I will be able to film them from the opposite side of the river bank sometime this week with a few ideas I have and I will post about it later in the week.

Thanks for reading

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment